Olex is a uniqe system for navigation and charting, developed by the Norwegian company Olex AS. The system is used in fisheries, aquaculture, and maritime contracting, and consist of three main elements:
- Functions for seabed, water colomn and currents mapping.
- Navigation, and display of digital vector charts.
- Plotting functions
Olex calculates a sea floor map using data from GPS and echosounder. For each new measured depth, the map improves. The survey takes place automatically and requires no operation.
The sea floor map can display in 2D with contour lines or relief, and in 3D with a virtual camera which can be used to look around the seafloor. Bottom zoom is used to highlight selected depht areas. In addition comes special functions like calculation of water and bottom mass volume, and tools for searching and removal of bad measurings.
Olex is designed for optimal use with easy operation:
- Effordless vector chart handling
- Fast and smooth zooming and chart rotation
- Easy route planning and editing
- Tracking and naming of radar targets
- Autopilot interface with clear information
- Depths and elevations in meters, fathoms or feet
- Highlights previous echosoundings for help in navigation
- Automatic tide correction
- Animated lights and sectors
- All trips stored for future reuse
- Stepless dimming, and night screen
- Multiple languages available
Software updates from Olex are free of charge.